Lawskool

Charity

Plan Australia                                                                              

Lawskool sponsors a Cambodian child named Rout Ruon via Plan Australia. Lawskool encourages students to get involved and sponsor a child as well. Visit the Plan Australia website for more info.

Plan is an international, child-focused, aid organisation with staff and volunteers working out of national offices in 16 countries, to help children, their families and communities in 45 developing countries, to reach their potential.

Lawskool chose Plan Australia to facilitate our sponsorship because we believe that Plan is fully committed to its mission. We are guaranteed that 80% of the money raised by lawskool.com.au will go directly to Rout (the remaining 20% goes towards fundraising for special Plan Australia projects).

Some Background on Rout

Eight year old Rout Ruon lives with his mother, father, two brothers and a sister in the Cambodian township of Peak Sneng, close to the awe-inspiring ruins of Angkor Wat at Siem Reap. Children like Rout in the developing world grow up fast and must play a part in the family's progress and survival. Although he still has time to play, Rout must also help with the daily chores. He helps to take care of his younger siblings, to look after domestic animals and to fetch firewood for the house. In his spare time, Rout enjoys dancing and playing with cars.

Rout enjoys school and always looks forward to reading, drawing, and arts and crafts. Rout aspires to study hard and become a government worker when he grows up. lawskool.com.au's contribution will help provide Rout with the educational opportunities necessary to assist him realise his potential. Cambodia is in desperate need of dedicated workers to help it rebuild after decades of civil war. With Plan's help, Rout may one day make a vital contribution to his country's development.

Plan Australia is working with Rout's family and all families within Peak Sneg to identify their most basic needs which may be in health, education, housing or income. Each individual will play a role and contribute what they can in terms of manual labour, local materials, technical expertise or financial contributions to ensure a brighter future for Rout and other children like him.

Some Background on Plan Australia:

  • Plan raises money from donations and child sponsorships from within Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Japan, Republic of Korea, Netherlands, Norway, Thailand, Sweden, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and applies it to projects to benefit children, their families and communities in developing countries;
  • Money raised through child sponsorship benefits whole communities, not individual children;
  • Plan 's work is based around five key areas - health, learning, habitat, livelihood and building relationships (between a child and their family, a community and its region, Plan and its partners and sponsors and their sponsored child);
  • Plan works with communities to identify their needs - such as safe housing, accessible schools, reliable income and health care - then sets about fulfilling them. Examples of projects include building schools, building wells, building health clinics, provision of life skills and work training and vaccination programs, just to name some (see separate list of projects);
  • Plan conducts special projects dealing with complex and sensitive social and cultural issues including female infanticide, the dowry system, birth registrations, female genital mutilation, child labour, trafficking and prostitution, paedophilia, exploitation of women forced into overseas labour contracts, violence against women, HIV-AIDS;
  • Once Plan's work is done in a community - sometimes after as long as 10 years or so (sometimes longer) - and the community is considered to have the skills and knowledge to be able to sustain itself and the desire to build a better life for their children, Plan withdraws and moves to a new area;
  • Plan employs more than 150 field officers who liaise between the organisation and the communities. Most have been employed out of the communities in which they work; and
  • Plan helps children by helping their families and communities.

Plan's income is used in three ways:

  • 80 per cent on running programs to improve the health, education, homes and livelihoods of children and families and the costs of providing smooth communication between sponsored children and their sponsors and running child rights projects. This includes the cost of management, vehicles for reaching communities and staff to manage and co-ordinate work in the field;
  • 10 per cent on fundraising and other costs associated with attracting new sponsors and other supporters;
  • 10 per cent on operational costs - staff, office, building and management costs not directly related to the communities such as finance and information technology